Tasty Dog Lick Mat Recipes
Lick Mats for dogs are a great anxiety-reducing dog toy that helps keep your dog mentally stimulated, calm and happy. Lick mats alleviate boredom which can help stop destructive behaviour. The action of extended licking also releases a calming hormone in both dogs and cats, so dog lick mats can serve as a non-medical solution to help your dog deal with loud noises such as fireworks or thunderstorms.
So, now you're sold on why your dog needs a lick mat, here are some of our favourite, yummy lick mat recipes your dog will love too!
Sweet Potato, Cranberry & Flax Seed
Thanks to our friends over at Soopa for this recipe!
- 1x large sweet potato
- 1x tablespoon dried cranberries
- 1x teaspoon flax/chia seeds
- 1x teaspoon coconut oil
- Chop up the sweet potato with skins on
- Steam/boil over medium heat until tender (approx. 10-15 mins)
- Drain & leave to cool
- Blend the sweet potato and all other ingredients (mash together if you don't have a blender)
- Spread onto your dog's lick mat or this can go in a KONG too
Sardine & Cheese Pate
This one may be a bit on the stinky side, but your dog will love it!
- 2x cans sardines drained
- 4x tablespoons of cottage cheese
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl using a fork to mash together
- Spread onto the lick mat
- If you have some leftover, pop it in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze
Some of your dog's favourite wet dog food or dog pate will also work perfectly for lick mats.
One of our firm favourites is the dog pate range from Applaws plus, there's 15% off the entire range at the moment! These complete meals for dogs are made with nothing but meat and vegetables, simply spread on the lick mat and let your dog enjoy.
Spreading your dog's wet food on the lick mat is a great way to slow down fast eaters. Alongside the lick mats, we also stock a range of puzzle toys which can help slow dry dog food eaters down too.